Last Updated on May 1, 2024

Do I Have To Cancel My Property Taxes When I Sell My House? | Real Estate Question

By Alan F Macdonald

Short Answer


Long Answer

Edmonton property taxes are charged to the registered owner of the property. If you sell your home, you are no longer the owner and do not pay taxes for that home. The property taxes will be adjusted at the time of sale and the next tax bill will come to the new owners of the home – not to you. You don’t have to do anything.

Keep Learning

Sign up for our quarterly real estate email newsletter.

When you sell your property, your lawyer will often notify the City of Edmonton that the home has been sold and who the new owners are, but even if they do not, the City of Edmonton gets an update from Alberta Land Titles as to the owner of each property before they send out tax notices. Because of this, it is important to make sure your title has the correct address on it. If you own rental properties the mailing address on title should be your mailing address or the mailing address of whomever takes care of your property tax bill.

Thanks to Michael J. Simons of McCuaig Desrochers LLP for clarifying how this issue is often dealt with from the lawyer’s side of things.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *