Hodgson is a south side neighbourhood in Edmonton and a very prestigious one at that. Homes in Henderson are very new by Edmonton standards and the location is convenient when it comes to the proximity to shopping and main roadways. The lack of a school in the area is definitely a mark against the neighbourhood, but this hasn’t stopped Hodgson homes from being quite popular with Edmontonians. Not many homes were sold in Hodgson last year. The houses are big and new and people often don’t need any more than that to be comfortable. There is a fair bit of diversity in Hodgson when it comes to home types. You can live in an apartment, a duplex or a house. The area has lots to choose from.
Please contact me if you have any interest in selling your Hodgson home or looking to buy a house in Hodgson.
|Neighbourhood Demographics||House Prices and Sizes|
|• Number of homes: 978||• Average Asking Price (2016): $550,000|
|• Population (2012): 2654||• Asking Price Range (2016): $225,000 to $1,838,000|
|• Size: 0.72 km² (178 acres)||• Average Home Size (Approx): 1170 ft²|
|• Density (2012): 3686 people/km² (fairly dense)||• Size Range (Approx): 880 ft² to 4900 ft²|
Hodgson Real Estate & Listings
309 1406 HODGSON Way in Edmonton: Zone 14 Condo for sale : MLS®# E4181570$228,000CondoCourtesy of Mani Bagga of Royal LePage Noralta Real Estate
- MLS® Num:
- Floor Area:
- 945 sq. ft.88 m2Welcome to the Luxurious Chateaux at Whitemud Ridge. This IMMACULATE 1 bedroom unit plus den with 945 sqft resides on the 3rd floor. The open floor concept shows your kitchen, living room and dining room upon entry. Access your large south facing deck from the living room. The large master bedroom has direct access to the 4 pce bath through the walk in closet. Additional den/bdrm is perfect for a home office! This package comes complete with in-suite laundry with storage, A/C, all appliances and 1 TITLED underground parking stall with one extra STORAGE cage. Amenities include a theatre room, exercise facilities with steam room, social room and 2 car wash bays. Come see the pride in ownership! More details
993 Hollingsworth Bend in Edmonton: Zone 14 Vacant Lot for sale : MLS®# E4184852$338,800Single FamilyCourtesy of Alan H Gee of RE/MAX Elite
- MLS® Num:
- E4184852Build your dream home in the prestigious community of Hodgson. A picture perfect family home awaits you on this 5500 SF walkout lot (34+ building pocket). Steps to schools, ponds/trails, parks and shopping. Start building your memories today! More details
205 1406 HODGSON Way in Edmonton: Zone 14 Condo for sale : MLS®# E4183180$419,900CondoCourtesy of Barrie Tanner of Terra Realty
- MLS® Num:
- Floor Area:
- 1,607 sq. ft.149 m2EXCLUSIVE AND RARE, over 1600 sf spacious 2 BEDROOM + DEN unit with sunny WEST facing patio & 9’ ceilings. The large GOURMET KITCHEN boasts upgraded GRANITE countertops, upgraded maple cabinetry and large island. A large walk-in closet leads to a beautiful ensuite, featuring a custom TILED SHOWER, DOUBLE SINKS with massive granite countertops and spacious SOAKER TUB. Newer Samsung s/s steam washer/dryer in the spacious laundry room, with new dishwasher too! Enjoy the beautiful surroundings from your patio, including mature evergreens and a beautiful west courtyard - with sunny west exposure from your deck, which has a natural gas hookup for your bbq. Features 1 U/G PARKING STALL, with EXTRA STORAGE ROOM available. State of the art security and many great amenities, such as GYM, THEATER & SOCIAL ROOMS, POOL TABLE, outdoor patio with BBQ, 2 CAR WASH BAYS, in a great location close to ALL AMENITIES, SHOPPING, RESTAURANTS and PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION. ADULT (21+) LUXURY CONDO living at its finest! More details
161 Hayward Crescent in Edmonton: Zone 14 House for sale : MLS®# E4176608$449,000Single FamilyCourtesy of Sierra E Halldorson of Purplebricks
- MLS® Num:
- Floor Area:
- 1,633 sq. ft.152 m2Welcome to the desirable community of Hodgson. This 1633 sq ft, 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom home offers an open concept kitchen and dinette with a large island and raised eating bar opening into the main floor living area, providing loads of natural light. The expansive west facing backyard provides a scenic backyard retreat; backing on to natural green space with no backyard neighbours. Upstairs you will find a comfortable master bedroom with a 4 piece ensuite, 2 more generous sized bedrooms, an additional 4 piece bathroom as well as a large bonus room. The garage entry way opens up into the main floor laundry room and half bath. This home is perfectly located within walking distance of two separate strip malls which include retail stores, restaurants, convenience stores, gas stations, grocery store, a gym, schools and walking paths to enjoy nature. More details
243 HILLIARD Green in Edmonton: Zone 14 House for sale : MLS®# E4165778$500,000Single FamilyCourtesy of David F Demian of RE/MAX Real Estate
- MLS® Num:
- Floor Area:
- 2,031 sq. ft.189 m2Welcome to the mature and desirable community of Hodgson. This fantastic 2 story home is immaculately maintained with AIR CONDITIONING and just under 3000 sq.ft of livable space, 5 bedrooms, and 4 bathrooms. The main level features a spacious living room with maple hardwood floor and a glass fireplace, a formal dining area, and an office to get some work done. Upper floor laundry means no more running up and down stairs to wash your clothes, and the fully finished basement is great if you have extended stay guests. Gorgeous landscaping and newly build over size DECK for entertaining and play. Great location, steps to Hodgson park, Whitemud Creek Ravine, Terwillegar Rec Center, transit and shopping centers. More details
Hodgson Housing Market
• Accessibility Score: 326 homes per entry/exit road (poor).
• Parking (see below for details): Not very good.
• Transit (see below for details): 12 bus stops.
• Parks: 1 park within neighbourhood boundaries (Hodgson Park), access to greenspace walking trails and direct access to the river valley at Whitemud Creek Ravine.
Hodgson is situated between the green belt and energy corridor to the north and 23rd Avenue. It runs from Rabbit Hill Road to the river valley east to west. There is a large park in the centre of the neighbourhood and some commercial land in the southwest corner. This area includes a bank, some restaurants and a gas station.
Hodgson is a very new area. The above chart shows that Hodgson homes where built in the 2000s and later. The big spike in development was in 2004 when over 350 homes were built – about 1/3 of the neighbourhood.
Homes in the neighbourhood are diverse in value. This is because there are condos in Hodgson as well as houses. There are a few different spikes in value. The houses seem to be worth in the $550,000 range but of course they can be much more expensive than that. The homes backing onto the river valley are very expensive. There is even a 3 million dollar home that I left off the chart because it didn’t really fit. You can see the chart goes up to over 2 million already. That’s a whole lot of money for Edmonton when the average price is close to $400,000.
The majority of homes in Hodgson are detached houses, but there is a good amount of lowrise apartment units as well as quite a few duplexes.
Most of the homes in the area are owner occupied – 87.7%, but there are still a fair number of rental units in Hodgson – 12.3%.
Lots in Hodgson are not usually very large. Most are around 450 m2, which isn’t bad for a new neighbourhood, but is not by any means large. Some lots are massive, though. Again I have left off an outlier that is an insane 2323 m2. That’s over half an acre!
Most of the zoning in the community is RSL or residential small lot – at 58.2%. There is also a fair bit of RA7 zoning which is meant for lowrise apartments as well. There is a small slice of RF1 zoning in the area and RF5 zoning as well, which would be suitable for condominiumized duplexes.
Condos in Hodgson
There are three condominium complex in the neighbourhood:
- Chateaux At Whitemud Ridge – 1406 Hodgson Way
- Grande Whitemud Oaks – 2903 Rabbit Hill Road
- Whitemud Terrace – 1428 Hodgson Way
Parks & Recreation
Henderson has a park on the central east side that borders Riverbend Road. The park is quite large with a few distinct fields, a basketball court, a baseball diamond and a playground.
Access & Parking
Parking isn’t that good in Hodgson – or at least the potential for issues is there – because the lots are narrow. This seems like no big deal when a neighbourhood is new, but sometimes when kids get older and start to drive, the streets in an area like this can get a bit busy with cars. The neighbourhood is 16 years old now, but in a few years when all those 2004 homes are old enough to have teenaged kids with cars, it may be some trouble to find parking for guests. At the moment, it doesn’t look like this is a huge problem. It might be a little tough to find a spot near the apartment condos, but so far, so good.
Access to Hodgson is pretty dismal with only 3 ways in and out for 978 homes. Traffic on those feeder roads in the morning and evening would be pretty steady and getting out in the morning might be a bit of a pain in the butt. Over 300 homes need to use each exit and one goes through another neighbourhood so it isn’t likely being used that often during rush hour. If you consider that many people will use two cars, that could almost double the traffic travelling out of the neighbourhood.
The nearest fire station is Station 24 located at 131 Haddow Close. It is a Fire rescue-EMS combination.
Transit To and From Hodgson
There are 12 bus stops in the community – one for every 82 homes, which is really quite decent. Walking distance to most of them is not that good, but for a lot of people, they are likely to drive to work and the kids may be driven to school anyway. Perhaps it doesn’t matter in these areas that much.
* Source: Current City of Edmonton open data as well as the 2006 Federal and 2012 Municipal Census.
Please contact me if you have any interest in selling your Hodgson home or looking to buy Hodgson real estate.
by +Alan F Macdonald REALTOR® | Copyright © – gimme-shelter.com