Hodgson is a south side neighbourhood in Edmonton and a very prestigious one at that. Homes in Henderson are very new by Edmonton standards and the location is convenient when it comes to the proximity to shopping and main roadways. The lack of a school in the area is definitely a mark against the neighbourhood, but this hasn’t stopped Hodgson homes from being quite popular with Edmontonians. Not many homes were sold in Hodgson last year. The houses are big and new and people often don’t need any more than that to be comfortable. There is a fair bit of diversity in Hodgson when it comes to home types. You can live in an apartment, a duplex or a house. The area has lots to choose from.
Please contact me if you have any interest in selling your Hodgson home or looking to buy a house in Hodgson.
|Neighbourhood Demographics||House Prices and Sizes|
|• Number of homes: 978||• Average Asking Price (2016): $550,000|
|• Population (2012): 2654||• Asking Price Range (2016): $225,000 to $1,838,000|
|• Size: 0.72 km² (178 acres)||• Average Home Size (Approx): 1170 ft²|
|• Density (2012): 3686 people/km² (fairly dense)||• Size Range (Approx): 880 ft² to 4900 ft²|
Hodgson Real Estate & Listings
546 HODGSON Road in Edmonton: Zone 14 House for sale : MLS®# E4344794
546 HODGSON Road Zone 14 Edmonton T6R 3G6$874,500Single FamilyCourtesy of Rashmeet S Gill of The Good Real Estate Company
- MLS® Num:
- Floor Area:
- 3,218 sq. ft.299 m2Executive Aristocratic Artistry 2 storey 4600 sq ft of finished living space on three floors. Upon entering, you are greeted by a grand foyer with a soaring ceiling with granite tile to the sweeping split wrought iron staircase . Soaring ceilings over the formal living & family room & formal dining room with cofferred ceiling.Crown mouldings, tiles & upgraded carpets thru out. The gourmet kitchen with extensive solid maple cabinets stained light cherry, island, high end appliances & granite tops, it's sure to please any breakfast nook overlooks the family room with garden door to the rear yard. Upper floor features four bedrooms & one with 5 piece ensuite. The master is designed for a king with 2 sided gas fireplace large whirlpool bath, walk-in closet & space for king size bed & sitting area. Basement offers additional bedrooms, family room, storage. Oversized triple garage with access to the basement. ( NEW LEGAL SECONDARY SUITE IN BASEMENT SEPARATE ENTRANCE. More details
925 HOLLINGSWORTH Bend in Edmonton: Zone 14 House for sale : MLS®# E4350567
925 HOLLINGSWORTH Bend Zone 14 Edmonton T6R 3L3$1,998,000Single FamilyCourtesy of Alan H Gee of RE/MAX Elite
- MLS® Num:
- Floor Area:
- 2,983 sq. ft.277 m2Unique. Elegant. Exquisite. Absolutely stunning Executive Custom bungalow backing to a spectacular treed RAVINE. Beautifully appointed, perfect for entertaining, this 3000 sf home features oversized spaces, floor to ceiling windows bringing the outdoors into the home w/streams of natural light. A view of the Ravine from virtually every room. Elegant limestone flooring exudes luxury & large wall spaces lend itself to a Gallery setting for your artwork. Huge Formal dining rm adjacent to the Great rm w/a 3 sided fireplace adding intimacy for large gatherings. The Chef’s kitchen overlooking the nook & family rm boasts Miele & Sub-Zero appliances. The primary suite is your tranquil retreat w/HIS & HER ensuites w/a walkthru closet satisfying the most ardent shopper. 2nd bedrm, den & laundry on the main level. F/Fin lower level- 2 huge bedrms, theatre & games area w/a wetbar, gym & 2 O/S bedrms. Outdoor entertaining is the next level, w/a view of the manicured yard & Whitemud Creek Ravine. O/S Triple garage More details
Hodgson Housing Market
• Accessibility Score: 326 homes per entry/exit road (poor).
• Parking (see below for details): Not very good.
• Transit (see below for details): 12 bus stops.
• Parks: 1 park within neighbourhood boundaries (Hodgson Park), access to greenspace walking trails and direct access to the river valley at Whitemud Creek Ravine.
Hodgson is situated between the green belt and energy corridor to the north and 23rd Avenue. It runs from Rabbit Hill Road to the river valley east to west. There is a large park in the centre of the neighbourhood and some commercial land in the southwest corner. This area includes a bank, some restaurants and a gas station.
Hodgson is a very new area. The above chart shows that Hodgson homes where built in the 2000s and later. The big spike in development was in 2004 when over 350 homes were built – about 1/3 of the neighbourhood.
Homes in the neighbourhood are diverse in value. This is because there are condos in Hodgson as well as houses. There are a few different spikes in value. The houses seem to be worth in the $550,000 range but of course they can be much more expensive than that. The homes backing onto the river valley are very expensive. There is even a 3 million dollar home that I left off the chart because it didn’t really fit. You can see the chart goes up to over 2 million already. That’s a whole lot of money for Edmonton when the average price is close to $400,000.
The majority of homes in Hodgson are detached houses, but there is a good amount of lowrise apartment units as well as quite a few duplexes.
Most of the homes in the area are owner occupied – 87.7%, but there are still a fair number of rental units in Hodgson – 12.3%.
Lots in Hodgson are not usually very large. Most are around 450 m2, which isn’t bad for a new neighbourhood, but is not by any means large. Some lots are massive, though. Again I have left off an outlier that is an insane 2323 m2. That’s over half an acre!
Most of the zoning in the community is RSL or residential small lot – at 58.2%. There is also a fair bit of RA7 zoning which is meant for lowrise apartments as well. There is a small slice of RF1 zoning in the area and RF5 zoning as well, which would be suitable for condominiumized duplexes.
Condos in Hodgson
There are three condominium complex in the neighbourhood:
- Chateaux At Whitemud Ridge – 1406 Hodgson Way
- Grande Whitemud Oaks – 2903 Rabbit Hill Road
- Whitemud Terrace – 1428 Hodgson Way
Parks & Recreation
Henderson has a park on the central east side that borders Riverbend Road. The park is quite large with a few distinct fields, a basketball court, a baseball diamond and a playground.
Access & Parking
Parking isn’t that good in Hodgson – or at least the potential for issues is there – because the lots are narrow. This seems like no big deal when a neighbourhood is new, but sometimes when kids get older and start to drive, the streets in an area like this can get a bit busy with cars. The neighbourhood is 16 years old now, but in a few years when all those 2004 homes are old enough to have teenaged kids with cars, it may be some trouble to find parking for guests. At the moment, it doesn’t look like this is a huge problem. It might be a little tough to find a spot near the apartment condos, but so far, so good.
Access to Hodgson is pretty dismal with only 3 ways in and out for 978 homes. Traffic on those feeder roads in the morning and evening would be pretty steady and getting out in the morning might be a bit of a pain in the butt. Over 300 homes need to use each exit and one goes through another neighbourhood so it isn’t likely being used that often during rush hour. If you consider that many people will use two cars, that could almost double the traffic travelling out of the neighbourhood.
The nearest fire station is Station 24 located at 131 Haddow Close. It is a Fire rescue-EMS combination.
Transit To and From Hodgson
There are 12 bus stops in the community – one for every 82 homes, which is really quite decent. Walking distance to most of them is not that good, but for a lot of people, they are likely to drive to work and the kids may be driven to school anyway. Perhaps it doesn’t matter in these areas that much.
* Source: Current City of Edmonton open data as well as the 2006 Federal and 2012 Municipal Census.
Please contact me if you have any interest in selling your Hodgson home or looking to buy Hodgson real estate.
by +Alan F Macdonald REALTOR® | Copyright © – gimme-shelter.com